Prescriptions For Living From The Proverbs
These six things the Lord hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.
— Proverbs 6:16-19, NKJV.
Solomon, in Proverbs 6:16-19, says there are seven things that God hates:
1. A proud look. Pride was the original sin. It was pride in the heart of Satan that broke the heart of God and provoked Satan into deceiving himself into believing that he no longer needed God. Pride is responsible for distancing the human race—God and family members from each other.
2. A lying tongue. The purpose of a lie is to deceive. Lies and deceit not only separate us from God, but they separate us from each other. Relationships are built on trust, and you can’t trust a liar.
3. Hands that shed innocent blood. Jesus said murder is in the heart of Satan. John reminds us that Cain hated Abel before he killed Abel. Then he says that anyone who hates his brother is a murderer (see 1 John 3:11-15).
4. A heart that devises wicked plans. God knows that imaginations and plans are the precursors of behavior: They are the stuff from which behavior comes. So God hates evil before it is ever expressed. He knows that our actions come out of our imaginations.
5. Feet that are swift in running to evil. Here God focuses His hatred on impulsive evil behavior. How many times people have said, “If I just hadn’t said it. If I just hadn’t done it.” We know the destructive power of impulsive behavior.
6. A false witness who speaks lies. God hates a false witness because that witness lies under oath and undercuts the whole system of justice.
7. One who sows discord among brothers. God loves marriage and the family. These institutions are essential to our society. And God loves the Church, the family of God. When a person sows discord among family members, it weakens the fabric of our society. And when that kind of person gets loose in the church, it would destroy the whole church if it weren’t for the grace of God.